Recapitulation practice

Janni

I wanted to give the recapitulation as described in the article a go and see where I get to in two weeks.

Seems pretty straight forward but: How important is the energy compression? The choices "closet" or "heavy blanket" seem doable but a bit impractical. (especially in the summer... :-) )

Is the process more a matter of intent than visualisation?

I read in another post that Eman advised to look at specific time periods in ones life. Was that a general or a person specific tip?

Thanks

Jan

It's pretty important to compress your energy. You can also use a small bathroom or a corner or something, if it's a problem. You just want to have your energy 'squeezed' by something substantial to bring it in closer.

Often it's helpful at the beginning to just recap the day, once per day, just recap the events. Then, as things come up, you can follow them into other memories. Avoid traumatic memories, or current relationships/kids :)

Hi Jan,

It really isn't visualization per se, although you do visualize when you 'recall' stuff (recall aka recapitulate), it is a matter of intending to retrieve your energy.

I don't know what post you're referring to but start out like Karl said, at in the beginning this is a pretty intense process just look at your general day and pull the energy back from that. I personally really like the closet, something magical about being around all those clothes that reminds me of the book The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Thanks Karl and Mandy for the quick answers. Ok, so I will try the closet as well. I have been using my blanket for a couple of days now. And I have done exactly what Karl advised to do later: Primarily relationsships and (possibly) traumatic stuff. I was looking for an effective way to test... :-)

Well, I will continue testing and may even sign up for the upcoming lesson - although with European time the window is not exactly suitable for late risers....

Jan

And I have done exactly what Karl advised to do later: Primarily relationsships and (possibly) traumatic stuff. I was looking for an effective way to test... :-)

Hi Jan, well that can surely be an effective way to test whether or not anything is happening, but for healing purposes it can actually be counterproductive. When you start out there's so much tied up even in the 'mundane' day-to-day things and all the places they lead, I think if you stick to those for the time being you'll find they're plenty enough to see changes happen. Those big traumatic things have connections everywhere, so going at them directly starting out, people don't usually have the energy to really untie them before working on the smaller things at first, and even if they have, it changes so much all at once it can become really unsettling in a bad way. We like unsettling, but it's a medicine best administered in the right doses, enough to keep the process of healing and changing going, but not too much to drive yourself away or over the edge. I understand the drive, when you start on some level you notice pretty early on those places of most damage, so the pull is there to fix them right up, but to heal the damage it's better to be patient and go at it from the outwards in - even that way there comes a time when you have to dive right in, and at that point I think you'll be really happy with yourself for doing all the 'smaller work' before as you realize the intensity of what you're dealing with.

Relationships are an agreement between people, there's a configuration of energy and likewise it's understandable to want to examine and change that but that doesn't take into account the other person - even not recapping the relationship directly, as your energy changes the relationship will also change, but hopefully at a pace that the relationship can live with and evolve with the change, if it's a relationship you want to keep alive. Now, recapping it directly you're changing everything all at once and usually that leads to a big bang which the relationship might or might not survive, but even if it does there's usually a pretty intense crisis involved.

Kai

OK, thanks both. I will step on the brakes then (but not too much ;-) ) and see how that goes. After all I need to be convinced that it is worthwile pursuing.

Regarding relationships: Since I started out with the Shamanic four years ago, actually all relationships have changed simply because the worldview has changed considerably. As a matter of fact: Had I not been thrown into the shamanic cold waters I do not think I could have kept up with the wife's change; for me the most important relationship. Therefore I am not overly concerned in that direction - at least not at the moment :-)

Jan

Makes sense. But if you recap (current) relationships, it can often change the nature of them. It can make the other person very uncomfortable, as they feel things have somehow changed - that you're more "distant" or such - but they can't explain it.

Yes, but now and then that happens even without any spiritual practices, it may just take longer....

One obvious question I failed to ask: Why is the compression so important and what happens compared to not doing it?

It simply helps you find the memories and memories associated with those memories, memories form a web and the compression put them closer to you so you can grab them and recap them. Without the compression especially at first it is much more difficult to create momentum in the recap process, the momentum of going from memory to memory. This momentum does not follow a logical order it is an energetic active process and often memories linked together seem to have not relations on the surface but they do in your energy. If your energy is not compressed your mind is more likely to rule the show and make the connections for you from memory to memory which is the last thing we want because then it becomes a mental process and has no effect whatsoever.

I guess you still get to do a good breathing exercise so that must count for something.... :)

C

• 7 years later...

Hallo Cyfnos,

I was just in a very bad place and after I read about the recapitulation of what you said in the post, I start doing it and had effect as I let go and was feeling and following the momentum of what memory was coming up and start feeling again. My energy feels really bad at the moment that I barely can usually breathe from triggers they have created to go into my head.

My energy from trauma now feels all over the place not grounded at all but at least I can feel it and many stings watched in my head felt released. I dont know what has happened to my energy from some people buy has been damaged. I hope I will be able to heal. 

Hi Infinity,

I am glad to hear that you had a bit of a breakthrough. Understanding the recap as an energetic movement vs a mental exploration of your present and past is what makes all the difference in the end. Healing is an intent, your intent, and at first an intent to recover your personal energy. Think of it as finding home in yourself, a home that is not attached to anything around you. I know it sounds a bit drastic and lonely but in the end it is the best position to create healthy relationships with people and the world around you.

So finding, building home in your energy is essentially a grounding movement by grounding I mean grounding what is not yours. When you practice the recap connect with the earth first, keep it simple, just feeling your feet on the ground or your seat, this should help you reach a calmer place to breath from. Then from that position start recapping your day and follow the memories and connections that come up, keep your head movement slow and relaxed. Do this with the intent to gather back your energy from those memories.

When the breathing is difficult, if you can, notice what emotion(s) lies behind that difficulty and start recapping the emotion itself. 

In a way recap whatever presents itself when you do the practice, especially the emotions. We sometimes think recap does not work because the experience is a bit chaotic or at the opposite boring but by recapping those very experiences you can create some momentum and move into the energy of your memories. That movement is guided by your intent not your mind.

As usual when things are too overwhelming take a break and come back at it later. It is a long term practice so find your own rhythm with it, I started recapping in 2007 and teaching it since 2015. I still do it everyday, it's been my companion practice and it will remain as such because it is my intent to do so.

with the breathing is triggers that created. I was doing alright and then they have conditioned me though masonic rituals when I hear an alarm ot be in a frantic state and anxiety. I cant breathe and my mind is very angry for msoemthign that someone did to create that connection. I cant live like this anymore. I am thinking now to die. thats all I want ot find soem peace from all that trigger 

this isnt me even now. Is conditioned and I cant anymore. All I think is to just die and find soem peace. 

I really think tomorrow to just go and die. I cant live like this anymore from the triggers. it fries my brain literally and brings me in fire activates part of my brain that are certain pathways and is conditioned. My brain is fried totally. I cant live like this anymore. 

Hi Infinity,

I know this is not easy for many but just try,  whenever you feel overwhelm, dread or anything you are feeling try to watch it, feel it then surrender into it, to me there is no point of resisting and fighting. The reason that I say watch it, you are trying to establish two persons in you, someone that is the watcher and someone that's being watched, its all you. Once you can separate yourselves, then you slowly detach and realized that you have the power to stop it and then healing and recapping becomes easy.

Intending for you to find peace..

Belle